Thursday, July 02, 2009

Family Updates

I know it's been quite a while since our last family update, so here it goes. On April 3rd I had a hysterectomy because my uterus was prolapsing. Mom McDonald was kind enough to come out and help with the children while I was recovering. Jake was also able to take off from work, to ensure I got enough rest. Things are now more or less healed and back to normal.

Unfortunately, while I was in the hospital my grandmother, Mrs. Claire Murray passed away from complications with pneumonia. She was cremated and we had a grave side burial service for her at Christ Church in Pomfret, CT. I went up for the service and left the kids in care of a babysitter. I played my flute at the service, and only managed to make a few mistakes due to emotional turmoil. There was a dog present and that was perfect for my Grandma.


Otherwise I've just been busy being a Mom. I did manage to plant my first herb and vegetable garden this year. It all seems to be growing well and we've just started enjoying the fruits of my labors. Jake was kind enough to build me 3 huge garden boxes that make the whole thing easier. They keep the weeds to a minimum and require less bending and reaching on my part.


Anyway, enough about me. On to Jacob, who packed up and headed off to Drill Sergeant School. He'll be there from June 9th to August 13th. On his way down to the school at Fort Jackson in Columbia, SC his mustang's engine died. He left the car at the shop and continued on in a rental car. I the drove down two days later, sold the mustang for scrap and found a new vehicle for Jake in Columbia. We are now the proud owners of an '02 Mercury Mountain. Haven't heard of it, well it's built sided by side with and is essentially the same car as the Ford Explorer.

Other than the trying trip down to SC Jacob is doing well. He is scoring high, and taking it one day at a time. Although we never would have chosen for Jake to become a Drill Sergeant, it will have some advantages for Jake's career. It ensures his promotion to E-7 down the road and gives him additional training that will count towards college credit. So we are reluctantly preparing to move to Columbus, GA at the end of September. It's not that we have anything against Columbus; so much as we love it here in Fayetteville and know we'll be returning here once his two years as a Drill Sergeant is over. However; it will be nice to be only an hour or so from Collin and Sara in Atlanta.


We are looking forward to this weekend as Jake gets a three day break for the 4th of July. The kids are hyped up waiting for him to arrive tonight. The kids are all doing really well. James finished kindergarten and will now tell you he is a first grader. With that he also was able to start Tiger Scout in the Cub Scout program. We went on a family camp out where he received his first award for placing flags in the cemetery for Veteran's Day. He received his second award for a Nature Walk we did with the Boy Scout Council in this area.

Mikey loves that all the Tiger Scout activities are family friendly, as he thinks he's one of the boys. Mikey loves all things active from swimming in our pool, to playing on Fort McDoanld, climbing trees, camping, or just plain running around. He has soooo much energy!
.
.
Evey isn't as excited about all Mikey's adventures, but is right in the thick of all the "boy" things. She still loves her princess dresses and changes her outfit 2-3 times a day. Thank goodness for good thrift store finds! I don't feel as bad when she comes in from outside with grass stains and dirt all over. I've also learned that dollies, barbies, and ponies wash too.
.
.
Stephen has no idea that he is the baby of the group. He believes he can do anything the big kids do. He is very small for his age, but quite inventive in compromising for his short stature. We love hearing his 10 or so words, and are often encouraging him to speak more, but in this crowd it is hard to get a word in edgewise. Stephen loves to sit and "type" at the computer so he wants to put his two cents in now:
dddnjnnnddndssdsdsssssdsdmsdksks,mm. lddvf rg lflfll


Well there you have it. I hope that this update finds you and yours whole and well. I'm not sure if I'll get another update out before we move, but will definitely post our new address as soon as I have it. We miss you all.

No comments: