Monday, July 31, 2006

Typhoid McDonald struck Jake

So every time we seem to be getting things in order and balanced Typhoid McDonald strikes our family. We say this jokingly, as it was our family's nickname in California, implying we were a always dealing with one illness or disaster after another and to beware.

Anyway, Jake was doing PT this morning and bunny hopping across the gym with the rest of his soldiers when all of a sudden his back went into spasms and caused him incredible pain. The gym medics took him out on a strecher and drove him to the Troop Medical Clinic via a field ambulence. At the clinic he was examined by a PA and told that it was tight muscles. She gave him a pain killer there and a prescription for a muscle relaxant and told him to lay down for the day then come back the next morning.

I'm a little upset because...
1. They didn't even have him see a real doctor
2. The PA didn't do an MRI or X-ray
3. The PA didn't prescribe him anything for the pain after he got home.


Now I don't have a very high opinion of the Troop Medical Clinic in the first place, to me it seems to be a joke. However; I have seen some fabulous doctors at the Family Practice Clinics/hospitals. It seems like Army Medicine doesn't care to give it's soldiers quality care, but keeps their families happy.

Anyway, I'm really worried that Jake isn't receiving the care he needs, and that he's in so much pain he won't "fight" for better care. He was in so much pain today that he avoided moving at all costs. I'm also frustrated because he's 5 hours away and I can't do a thing to help him. I keep thinking if I were there I could "take care" of him and help fix it. Being so far away and helpless is horrible.

So please everyone, keep him in your prayers.

Thanks,

Elizabeth


No comments: